Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sock it to Barbie!

As fall begins there seems to be an urgency to tidy and clean corners of the house that don't usually get touched, to organize closets and drawers, to sort clothes and to figure out where all those socks went!

We went through my daughter's sock drawer to find that there were tens of socks without partners. Some we paired together because they suited each other (in the way that opposites often attract) but we found many tossed forlornly into the singles pile.

I didn't want to throw them out and thought that there must be a use for them (besides sock puppets which never seem quite as exciting after making them).

As I looked into my daughter's barbie house full of naked barbies, I thought there is no way I am buying any expensive barbie clothes for those things- they end up lost, torn or tattered after a few days. And I am often the one fiddling with the things to get the outfits on!

And then it dawned on me- why not use the socks to make barbie clothes?

Here is what we did- we used the sock elastic to make necklines and to be waistbands. Cut small holes in the sides under the elastic for arm holes. Just cut the sock before the heel for skirts. (see right side)

Or, if you have one sock you want to use and it is quite small, do the same to the top part of the sock for the shirt and then cut the skirt from below- above or below heel depending on how big the heel is.

(Note: This only works for small socks *size 4 and lower* as the socks are small enough to stay up on the waist- otherwise, you could remedy this with a stitch or two to make the waist smaller. And the most colourful socks made the most lovely outfits!)

Here are all the beautiful and rustic clothes we made for the barbies.

I am happy to report that the barbies are now all fully clothed and can be easily changed by little hands (not like the ones you buy in the stores!) and...it didn't cost me a penny!





2 comments:

Linda said...

I found your site through Pinterest and I was just making Barbie clothes from socks yesterday before I check your tutorial. Since I was using adults socks I cut off the top part above the heel and then flipped the sock inside out and put it onto Barbie (using the cuff for the waist also) then I used straight pins to "fit" the sock onto Barbie, removed the sock and hand sewed along the pin line and trimmed the excess off. For whatever reason I did not think to cut holes into the side of the sock for armholes; thank you for that idea! There is nothing like a thrifty recycling momma needing to clothe those naked Barbies, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Great idea you've shared. Thanks so much. I'm sewing my first Tilda doll and have knit her a tiny toque and am putting the finishing touches on a pull over (needs extra long arms to fit Tilda) using barbie doll knit patterns. These little sock clothes will be a wonderful addition to her wardrobe!